5 condiments you can make at home
We’re so used to buying everything pre-made and packaged at the grocery store that we sometimes forget we can make all of it ourselves — without the additives. Get out those mason jars and get ready to make your own mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup, hot sauce and barbecue sauce.
- 1 large whole egg, plus one egg yolk
- 1 cup of safflower oil or refined sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- Sea salt, to taste
1. Blend eggs, lemon juice and salt in a processor on medium, slowly adding the safflower oil.
- 3 tablespoons of yellow mustard seeds
- 3 tablespoons of brown mustard seeds
- 1/3 cup of white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup of white wine or water
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
1. Mix everything in a bowl, cover and refrigerate overnight.
2. Combine in a high-speed blender.
- One 6-ounce can of tomato paste
- ½ cup of water
- ¼ cup of vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon of onion
- 1 ¾ tablespoons of raw sugar
1. Empty can of tomato paste into a pan and stir until smooth.
2. Slowly add water while stirring.
3. Slowly add vinegar while stirring.
4. Combine the rest of the ingredients and stir over low heat.
5. Once simmering, remove heat and place into containers.
6. Refrigerate until cool.
- 4 habanera peppers
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ¾ cup onions, thinly sliced
- ¾ cup of distilled white vinegar
- ¾ teaspoon of salt
- A few sprays of cooking spray
1. Chop the chilies. (Use gloves so you don’t end up crying because you rubbed your eyes.)
2. After spraying the pan with cooking spray, saute onions and garlic over medium-high heat for about three minutes.
3. Add peppers, white vinegar and salt, and bring to a simmer.
4. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for another eight or nine minutes.
5. Pour mixture into a food processor and puree until smooth.
6. Pour into a container and let it cool uncovered.
7. Cover with an air-tight lid and refrigerate for a few days.
- 3 cloves of garlic, roasted and crushed
- ¾ cup of homemade ketchup (see recipe above)
- ¾ cup of brown sugar
- ¼ cup of red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup of water
- 2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce
- ¾ tablespoon of dry mustard
- ¾ teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- ½ teaspoon of hot sauce (see recipe above)
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of rosemary
1. Roast the garlic cloves with some oil in the oven.
2. Crush the garlic and mix with the rest of the ingredients in a blender until smooth.