Resistance and core training is the quickest and most effective way to a strong body and toned muscles. Phong Tran — a fitness expert with more than 20 years of experience and whose workouts are featured on GymRa.com, a new online private training site featuring over 1,500 exercise videos — suggests the following five moves to get you ready for bathing suit season:
1. Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, knees slightly bent. Cross your arms, holding a pair of 3- to 5-pound dumbbells. Bend forward, keeping your back straight.
2. Keeping your left arm straight, raise your right elbow 90 degrees.
3. Straighten right arm, lowering the weights to starting position. Alternate sides. Repeat.
1. Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, holding dumbbells outward.
2. Step back and to the side, bending elbows up as far as you can.
3. Straighten your body; lower the weights. Alternate sides. Repeat.
1. Lay on your back with your arms stretched out behind your head.
2. Lift your back and reach for your toes. Keep legs together and as straight as possible.
3. Lower yourself slowly. Repeat.
1. Get on all fours, holding the dumbbell in your left hand. Get into plank position.
2. Pull back left elbow, raising elbow to chest and keeping the right arm straight.
3. Lower weight. Repeat.
1. Stand with feet shoulder-width apart. Hold dumbbells with arms straight.
2. Cross arms and lower body into squat position; at the same time, pull arms back. Dumbbells should be slightly above shoulder level.
3. Stand up, straighten legs and lower weights. Repeat.