The Fourth of July means backyard barbecues, burgers, beer and fireworks. For humans, it’s one of the best days of summer. For pets, maybe not so much.
Because the food, sun and backyard get-togethers that we look forward to every year can be a potential booby trap for four-legged guests. Here are the potential dangers and how to protect your pets from them.
Certain July Fourth fare — like onions, chocolate, salt and yeast dough — can potentially be toxic. Corn cobs and bones can get lodged in a pet's intestines and require surgery, according to the Chicago Veterinary Emergency & Specialty Center. High-fat foods like hot dogs, hamburgers and sausages often cause stomach upset and can lead to pancreatitis. Keep your four-legged friends on their normal diet. Any change can cause indigestion.
Alcoholic drinks can poison your pets, says the ASPCA. They can become intoxicated, weak, depressed or even go into a coma. In severe cases, they can die from respiratory failure. Make sure never to leave your drinks unattended or in a place where your pets can reach them.