[Recipe] Indian roasted pumpkin soup
Pumpkins aren’t only good for carving. And if you’ve only eaten this fall vegetable in the form of pumpkin pie, you’ve been missing out. Here’s a fall recipe you’ll fall in love with: Indian roasted pumpkin soup.
- 2 cups of pumpkin
- 4 shallots
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup of coconut milk
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
2. In an 18-in. by 12-in. jelly roll pan, combine pumpkin, shallots, carrots, apple, onion, garlic, olive oil, coriander, cumin and turmeric, tossing to coat. Spread in a single layer.
3. Roast for 30 minutes or until tender.
4. Transfer mixture to blender. Add broth and coconut milk. Cover, with center part of blender cover removed. Blend until smooth.
5. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/8 teaspoon of pepper, or to taste.
Makes 5 cups, or 6 first-course servings.