[Infographic] Fuel up with protein-packed pistachios
Protein-rich snacks are an important part of your diet. In fact, the American Heart Association recommends that 10% to 15% of your daily calorie intake should come from a source of protein. Whether you’re craving a snack or need to fuel up before or after a workout, crack open some pistachios — they are healthy and portable. They can help you manage your weight, keep your heart healthy, promote healthy blood sugar levels and contain a host of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients bodies need to function and stay healthy.
According to the American Pistachio Growers, pistachios contain:
- More dietary fiber (3 grams) than 1/2 cup of cooked broccoli;
- Good fat: 7 grams of monounsaturated and 4 grams of polyunsaturated fats, which are considered heart healthy;
- Less than 2 grams of saturated fat;
- Phytosterols, which may decrease the risk of heart disease;
- As much potassium as half of a large banana;
- Vitamin B6;
- No cholesterol; and
- No trans fat.
If that doesn’t get you craving pistachios, click on the infographic below provided by the American Pistachio Growers. You’ll learn how this powerful green nut stacks up against other common snack choices.