Recipe: Masala chai cocoa for two
Attention, chocolate lovers: This is a must-try! Provided to us by Malaka Gharib of popular foodie zine and blog The Runcible Spoon, this masala chai cocoa combines cardamom, ginger, peppercorns, cinnamon and ground chili pepper with chocolate for a winter-worthy concoction that’s full of flavor with every sip.
- 2 cups of skim milk
- 1/2 can of low-fat evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons of good-quality hot chocolate mix
- 1 square of high-quality unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cardamom
- 2 1/2-inch pieces of fresh ginger
- 6 peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoons of ground chili pepper
- 1 bay leaf
Simmer the herbs and milk together over low heat and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, then add chocolate and stir to combine. Simmer for another few minutes. Strain into cups.