Try this twist on traditional guacamole for a vegetarian, gluten-free snack that offers vitamins C and K, folate and “good” fats.
1. Preheat grill to medium heat.
2. In a medium bowl, gently toss cherries in olive oil. Place cherries into a large piece of tin foil and fold to seal the foil at the top.
3. Transfer cherries in foil to the heated grill. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until tender.
4. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mash avocados until it forms a chunky consistency.
5. Remove cherries from grill. Set aside for two minutes to cool, and then add to the guacamole mixture along with remaining ingredients. Mix well to combine.
6. Serve immediately. Garnish with additional fresh basil.
Amie Valpone, editor-in-chief of The Healthy Apple, is a Manhattan-based culinary nutritionist, personal chef, professional recipe developer and food writer specializing in simple gluten-free, “clean” recipes for the home cook. Amie shares her passion for “clean eating” by focusing on whole foods and ingredients that are nourishing for you and your body. She understands how difficult it can be to find time in our hectic lives to create a home cooked, nutritious meal but is here to show you how easy it can be.