Did you know that the largest Zumba class consisted of 1,223 people at the Brownsville Sports Park in Brownsville, Texas, on April 30? You can help break that record on Sept. 25.
Come out and help set the world record for the largest Zumba Dance Party in NYC on Saturday, Sept. 25. Make NYC Your Gym Day, a BeFitNYC initiative to offer FREE and low-cost activities to New Yorkers, is hosting the event from 12:30 p.m. to 4 p.m., at the Richmond County Bank Ballpark in Staten Island, NY. Record Setter officials will witness and record the event.
If you go, you’ll get FREE Zumba Dance Lessons at 1 p.m., and participate in the biggest Zumba dance party ever in NYC at 1:30 p.m. A yoga cool-down class will follow at 2:30 p.m. There will be chances to run the bases, hop into bouncy castles and join relay races, so bring the kids.
Here’s a list of group fitness-related world records from the Guinness Book of World Records:
- The largest simultaneous video game exercise routine involved 783 participants and was achieved by The Pines Senior Public school / Clarke A.S.G. exercising to “Get fit with Mel B.” game for Sony Playstation 3 at The Pines Senior Public school, in Newcastle, Ontario, Canada, on May 5.
- The most people exercising to a fitness video is 829 and was achieved by Akroum Azziz (France) in Saint Avold, France, on May 17.
- The most participants to swim one length each in a 24-hour relay is 5,028 and was set by Swim For Children (Italy) at Padovanuoto, Padova, Italy, on June 11 to 12 2010.
- Largest resistance band demonstration/class had 270 people and was held in midtown Manhattan on Sept. 30, 2010.
- Largest barefoot walk was in Chengdu, China on September 2010 where 1,141 people participated.
- Most people static cycling had 1,052 participants in downtown Minneapolis on March 7, 2010.
- The record for most people running 100 meters in a 12-hour relay is 2,400 at an event organized by Al-Jazeera Club and IF Charity at Al-Yarmook Field in Gaza, Palestine, on Oct. 23, 2010.
- The record for the most people performing a synchronized swimming routine was achieved by 186 participants at Olympium Pool, Ontario, Canada, on May 31, 2008.
- The largest underwater cycle race involved 22 scuba divers competing along the 196-ft. long, 10-ft. deep 2e2 Underwater Cycling Challenge in Havelet Bay, Guernsey, Channel Islands, U.K. on Sept. 10, 2006.
- We just had to include this bit of information: The most people fist pumping was 5,726 led by MTV and the cast of Jersey Shore in Times Square, Dec. 31, 2010. The event was a part of MTV’s “New Year’s Bash” telecast to ring in 2011. Fist pumping burns calories, right?