While all veggie burgers brands are great alternatives as far as cows are concerned, some pack tons of fat and calories. These barbecue-ready picks, however, boast the protein of beef burgers without the fat, plus a boost of fiber:
1. Morningstar Spicy Black Bean Burgers
Nutrition: 120 calories, 11 g protein, 4 g fat
Have water on hand for these fiery burgers.
2. Amy’s All-American Veggie Burger (vegan)
Nutrition: 140 calories, 13 g protein, 3.5 g fat
Redefine the “all-American” meaty barbeque.
3. Gardein Ultimate Beefless Burger
Nutrition: 130 calories, 17 g protein, 5 g fat
This burger is “beefed up” with textured vegetable protein.
4. Boca Cheeseburger
Nutrition: 100 calories, 13 g protein, 4.5 g fat
Cheesy goodness without all the fat.
5. Dr. Praeger’s Meatless All-American Burger
Nutrition: 130 calories, 15 g protein, 4 g fat
This burger holds up great on the grill.
DIY: Homemade Black Bean Burger Recipe
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a pan. Add the pepper, onions, corn and garlic, and stir for a few seconds; then cover. Let steam for about 5 minutes, or until softened
3. In a large bowl, mash black beans with a fork or potato masher until pasty but chunky.
4. Stir the diced pepper, onions and garlic into black bean mixture. Squeeze out excess moisture.
5. Whisk together egg, cayenne, cumin and cilantro in a separate bowl. Stir egg mixture into the black beans and vegetables. Add breadcrumbs and stir.
6. Form mixture into four patties and place on a prepared baking sheet.
7. Bake burgers for about 10 minutes on each side.
8. Enjoy on a whole-wheat bun topped with cheese, salsa or avocado.