We all know that we should wash our faces daily, apply SPF each morning, exfoliate once a week … the list goes on and on. But for most of us, taking the time out of our schedules for a detailed skincare regimen can be a challenge. When you’re in a bind, a quick five-minute fix can do you, your skin and your schedule a world of good.
Between my days searching the banks of the Copper River in Alaska for ingredients for Alaska Glacial Mud Co. and heading out on my fishing boat to catch salmon — those elusive Copper River salmon — I’ve become somewhat of an expert on quick facial fixes. Here are five of my favorites:
- Fast exfoliation: I like to incorporate exfoliation while in the shower to get double duty on my bath time. Using a non-drying lather soap, such as the Exfoliating Mineral Soap Bar from Alaska Glacial Mud Co., I lather up and scrub with a natural loofah or a textured shower towel to circulate blood and slough dead skin cells.
- Moisturizing is everything: My go to ultra-rich moisturizer is KORRES Quercetin & Oak Antiaging & Antiwrinkle Night Cream. Sssshhh, don’t tell anyone, but sometimes I use it during the day too, as it helps lock in moisture and keep my skin silky and smooth. What’s more, five minutes of slathering on any facial moisturizer also acts as an instant anti-ager. Plumped and hydrated skin looks significantly younger than its dry, dull counterpart.
- Sunburned SOS: Depending on my location, I am quick to grab some aloe vera plant, which can instantly help. Coconut oil will also bring relief, or make a body mist with lavender EO, milk and water. In a true bind, soak a washcloth in whole milk and apply to the burn for five minutes — the proteins in the milk should soothe your skin.
- Acne buster: Proper exfoliation, good nutrition and exercise are all key, but we’re all prone to hormonal breakouts now and then. Try to use your favorite exfoliating mask as a spot treatment while you sleep.
- Depuffing eyes: There is no replacement for ample sleep, drinking plenty of water, nutrient-rich foods (like Copper River salmon) andavoiding alcohol , but staying moisturized is important too. Stay away from harsh chemicals on this sensitive area of the body with Tata Harper’s Restorative Eye Crème. If you don’t have that handy, lukewarm tea bags can help depuff with their antioxidant rich ingredients, as can a cool cucumber slice, which will draw moisture to the skin’s surface and hydrate while soothing.