We rarely cut avocado from a recipe, but if you’re craving a more low-calorie, diet-friendly dip for your tortilla chips, broccomole is a satisfying alternative to its high-fat (albeit good-fat) cousin.
This recipe from healthy chef Anthony Stewart at the Pritikin Longevity Center combines broccoli stems, lemon juice, tomato and herbs and spices for a surprisingly creamy, flavorful dip.
- 1 ½ cups cooked broccoli stems, tough outer layers peeled off
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ tomato, diced
- 1 scallion, sliced
- 1 canned green chili, chopped
- In a food processor, blend the broccoli stems with the lemon juice, cumin, and garlic powder until completely smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well by hand, but do not blend.
- Chill before serving for best flavor.