Pumpkins aren’t only good for carving. And if you’ve only eaten this fall vegetable in the form of pumpkin pie, you’ve been missing out. Here’s a fall recipe you’ll fall in love with: Indian roasted pumpkin soup.
- 2 cups of pumpkin
- 4 shallots
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup of coconut milk
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- In an 18-in. by 12-in. jelly roll pan, combine pumpkin, shallots, carrots, apple, onion, garlic, olive oil, coriander, cumin and turmeric, tossing to coat. Spread in a single layer.
- Roast for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Transfer mixture to blender. Add broth and coconut milk. Cover, with center part of blender cover removed. Blend until smooth.
- Stir in 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/8 teaspoon of pepper, or to taste.
Makes 5 cups, or 6 first-course servings.